B is incorrect.
The law requires that the Store Manager keep Jamalís medical information private, with very limited exceptions. There is no exception in the law that permits sharing medical information with co-workers. Therefore, the Store Manager should not have discussed Jamalís disability with his co-workers.
Try again! Select another choice below.
11. Jamal, a cashier at a retail store, asks his Store Manager to order special equipment for the cash register because he has low vision and cannot see the number keys. The Store Manager agrees to Jamalís request and orders the special equipment. Later that day, the Store Manager tells one of Jamalís co-workers about the special equipment she ordered because Jamal has trouble seeing the number keys on the cash register. The co-worker is surprised and says she didnít know that Jamal was ďblind as a bat.Ē The next day, Jamalís co-workers call him Batman and flap their arms and squint when they see him. Jamal complains to the Store Manager about this behavior, and she immediately corrects the problem. Jamalís co-workers do not make any more comments about his vision. Did the Store Manager respond correctly to Jamalís requests?
- No. The Store Manager should not have granted Jamalís request for the special equipment because Jamal did not put his request in writing.
- Yes. The Store Manager responded correctly to Jamalís request for special equipment because of his low vision. She also acted quickly to stop his co-workers from harassing him. The Store Manager had a responsibility to tell the co-worker about Jamalís disability so the co-worker would understand why Jamal was using special equipment on the cash register.
- No. The Store Manager responded correctly to Jamalís request for special equipment due to his low vision and to his complaint about co-worker harassment, but she should not have discussed Jamalís disability or need for special equipment with his co-workers.
- Yes. The Store Manager was acting in Jamalís best interest when she helped him obtain special equipment for the cash register, mentioned his disability to a co-worker, and stopped the co-workers from teasing him. The Store Manager thinks Jamal is a good employee and was only trying to protect him.