8. Rosa spends her summers working on a fruit farm. The farm owner decreases her pay whenever she is late for work, but allows non-Mexican workers to make up the time at the end of the day. Rosa believes the farm owner treats her differently because she is from Mexico. A friend tells Rosa to call the EEOC for help, but she is afraid because she is an undocumented worker. Can the EEOC help Rosa?
- No. Undocumented workers are not protected by United States anti-discrimination laws.
- No. The farm owner has a right to decrease Rosa’s pay if she is late for work.
- No. Rosa is only a seasonal employee, so she is not protected by the federal anti-discrimination laws.
- Yes. Rosa may have been the victim of wage discrimination because of her national origin. EEOC can help Rosa even if she is an undocumented worker.