1. Home
  2. Welcome
  3. How to File A Complaint

How to File A Complaint


A job discrimination complaint may be filed by mail or in person at the nearest EEOC office. You can find the closest EEOC office by calling the EEOC at 1-800-669-4000, or by going to the EEOC's Field Office List and Jurisdiction Map and selecting the office closest to you.

To file a job discrimination complaint, it is helpful to have the following information:

  1. The name, address, and telephone number of the person who is being treated unfairly;
  2. The name, address, and telephone number of the employer you are filing the complaint against;
  3. A brief description of the event or events that you believe are unfair or harassing; and
  4. The dates these events occurred.

Individuals who need assistance to file a complaint (e.g., sign language interpreter, foreign language interpreter, print materials in an accessible format) should inform the EEOC field office so appropriate arrangements can be made.

If you believe you have been treated unfairly or harassed at work by a federal government employer, you must follow different procedures. For information on how the process works, you should see the guidelines for Federal Sector Equal Employment Opportunity Complaint Processing.