Skip to Content

U.S. Equal Employment Opportunity Commission

How to File A Complaint

A teenage girl writing a letter

A job discrimination complaint may be filed by mail or in person at the nearest EEOC office. You can find the closest EEOC office by calling the EEOC at 1-800-669-4000, or by going to the EEOC's Field Office List and Jurisdiction Map and selecting the office closest to you.

To file a job discrimination complaint, it is helpful to have the following information:

  1. The name, address, and telephone number of the person who is being treated unfairly;
  2. The name, address, and telephone number of the employer you are filing the complaint against;
  3. A brief description of the event or events that you believe are unfair or harassing; and
  4. The dates these events occurred.

Individuals who need assistance to file a complaint (e.g., sign language interpreter, foreign language interpreter, print materials in an accessible format) should inform the EEOC field office so appropriate arrangements can be made.

A pencil and paper If you believe you have been treated unfairly or harassed at work by a federal government employer, you must follow different procedures. For information on how the process works, you should see the guidelines for Federal Sector Equal Employment Opportunity Complaint Processing.